Skip to Content Top

San Antonio Modifications Attorney

Modifications Lawyer Representing Texans Who Need to Adjust Court Orders

During a family law-related court case, a judge will issue court orders regarding legal matters such as spousal support, child support, and parenting plans. Yet, as time passes and everyone’s lives change, such orders may eventually become cumbersome, irrelevant, or otherwise unsuitable. In Texas, you can request that a judge change a child custody, child support, or alimony order by filing a modification case.

At The Knowlton Law Firm, our family law practice focuses exclusively on family law matters related to divorce, including modifications. San Antonio modifications lawyer Brian Knowlton is happy to guide you through every step of the modification process to help ensure you attain the results you want.

People’s lives are not static, so you should not be forced to stay trapped in a court order that no longer works for you. Failure to comply with a court order can result in serious penalties, so be sure to consult with an experienced modifications lawyer in Texas as soon as possible to request any necessary changes. We can help you secure the court orders that work best for you and your family.

Call (210) 361-6990 or contact us online to request your free, no-obligation case evaluation today with our San Antonio modifications lawyer today.

What Court Orders Can I Modify in Texas?

You can modify the following divorce-related court orders in Texas:

To get a divorce order modified, you must prove that you have experienced a change in circumstance to a Texas family court. For example, if you are a custodial parent whose job requires that you move out of state, but your ex-partner has visitation rights, you can request a modification. The same goes for if a partner suddenly loses a job and can no longer afford to pay child support or spousal maintenance.

Each type of court order has its own requirements for modification as well. For example, a Texas child support order is only eligible for modification at least one of the following applies:

  • The order was created or last modified over three years prior,
  • The monthly support cost differs by either 20% or $100 from the amount that would be awarded according to state child support guidelines, or
  • A substantial change in one parent’s life circumstances has occurred.

To learn more about whether you are eligible to request a modification, consult with an experienced modifications attorney near you. The website Texas Law Help also has some helpful resources concerning modifications.

Who Can File a Child Support Modification Case?

Either parent of a minor child can file a modification case in Texas. As long as the child is yours, there are not many strict requirements otherwise.

If you are not the child’s parent, you can only file a modification case if:

  • You are listed in the current court order as a named party,
  • You have recently been responsible for the care, control, and possession of the child for at least six months and you are not a foster parent,
  • You have recently lived with the child and the child’s parent, guardian, or conservator for at least six months and the child’s parent, guardian, or conservator has died, or
  • You are the child’s sister, brother, aunt, uncle, niece, nephew, grandparent, or great-grandparent, and:
    • Both of their parents are dead,
    • Both parents, the surviving parent, or the conservator agree to the modification, or
    • The child’s current circumstances significantly endanger the child’s health or emotional development.

How Will My Modification Suit Be Resolved?

There are two ways a modification suit can go. It will either be contested or uncontested by your former spouse. Whether they agree to the modification or not can affect how long the process takes to go into effect and well as the results.

Your modification suit is uncontested if it can be completed by either:

  • Agreement: You and the other parent agree on all the issues and are both willing to sign the modification forms, or
  • Default: The other parent is served with the modification suit and does not provide an answer or fails to appear in court.

A modification suit is considered contested when the other parent files an answer or waiver of service and will not sign the modification order. To resolve a contested modification suit, it is required that the case goes to a final hearing. You will be required to give the other parent at least 45-day of notice before the hearing. It is especially important to talk with a local modification attorney if your case is contested.

Protecting Your Rights in Modification Cases

At Knowlton Law Firm, our experienced San Antonio modifications attorney is dedicated to protecting your rights and advocating for your best interests in modification cases. Whether you need to adjust a court order related to child custody, visitation, child support, or spousal support, our skilled lawyer is here to guide you through the legal process.

Why choose our San Antonio modifications attorney?

  • Extensive knowledge of Texas family law: Our attorney has a deep understanding of the laws and regulations governing modifications in Texas. We stay up-to-date with any changes in the law to provide you with the most accurate and effective legal advice.
  • Strong negotiation skills: We strive to reach amicable resolutions through negotiation and mediation, saving you time, money, and emotional stress. However, if litigation becomes necessary, our attorney is a formidable advocate in the courtroom.
  • Personalized approach: We recognize that every modification case is unique, and we tailor our strategies to meet your specific needs and goals. Our attorney takes the time to listen to your concerns and develop a customized legal strategy that works for you.
  • Compassionate and responsive service: We understand that modification cases can be emotionally challenging. Our attorney provides compassionate support throughout the process and promptly responds to your questions and concerns.

Our San Antonio Modifications Attorney Can Help

While a lawyer is not required to file a modification case, you may want to consider it—especially if your modification request is contested. Our experienced San Antonio modifications lawyer understands the necessary steps of the process and can guide you through regardless of how complicated or contentious. At the very least, an attorney can explain your rights and options to better set you up for success.

We offer free and confidential case evaluations at no obligation to all prospective clients looking for modifications. Please do not hesitate to reach out to discuss your case! Give us a call to speak with a San Antonio modifications lawyer today.

You Are Not Alone Talk to Us About Your Case Today

Contact us today and see how we can help you with your legal needs.